I think it is safe to say that we are all fed up with winter this year.
Luckily, spring is almost here! The meaning of the word Lent is actually “spring,” and Lent begins NEXT WEEK!
The Little Way
Lately, I have been inspired by St. Mother Teresa, and HER inspiration, St. Therese. They both talk about the little way and doing small things. Ever since becoming a mother, I have struggled with the mundane. I have always sought a bigger purpose, but after some recent spiritual direction, I have learned that I can be satisfied by doing the everyday tasks. Every time I change a diaper, wash a dish, clean blueberries and sweet potato out of the carpet, and pull playdoh out of my one year old’s mouth, I am loving the Lord.
“What you do for the least of these, you do for me.” -Matthew 25:40
During Lent there is a focus on three disciplines: prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. This year my suggestions will be around the idea of doing “small things with great love.”
- Read the daily devotional emails from Blessed is She while up with the baby in the wee morning hours
- While brushing your teeth in the morning and evening, say 5 Hail Mary’s. This is a fantastic way to say a rosary once a week!
- Wear a scapular, cross, crucifix, or miraculous medal
- Do the examen before bed
- Make a capsule wardrobe and wear the same outfits
- Give up makeup
- Silent your favorite phone apps (or delete them entirely)
- Use only one plate, bowl, and mug
- Wear glasses instead of contacts
- Ending screen time an hour before you go to bed
- Don’t check social media until you have had some prayer time
- Only listen to Christian podcasts
Other fasting ideas:
- Phone games
- The snooze button
- Visit a nursing home or homeless shelter
- Every time you buy coffee, buy a coffee for the next customer
- Donate your coffee shop/restaurant money to a charity
- Give your time to your parish. They always need more volunteers. Just call the office and say “These are my gifts and talents. Where can I help?” You could volunteer to serve on Donuts Sundays, at teen events, fish fries, etc.
My Lent plans:
We have a life size crown of thorns that we will have out on display.
I will be drinking out of my Lent mug all season.
The Blessed is She Lent Journal (There is also a digital download!)
I absolutely HATE doing dishes, so I will be doing 10 minutes of dishes before bed.
I haven’t fully decided yet, but I think I will only be listening to Christian podcasts during the week.
This isn’t 100% set in stone yet, but that’s that’s the plan that I have in mind.
What are your plans?
If you need more help on deciding what to do for Lent, I have a podcast episode out today to help you reflect on your February and maybe the patterns you see will help you solidify a plan. Search Ryian’s Coffee Shop at your favorite podcast catcher. (I just submitted my application to Stitcher today!) The Patreon podcast episode is my answers to those journal prompts!
I would love to hear what you are up to for Lent! Let me know on Instagram @ryianlouise